jakedog.org
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
62380 Posts in 5025 Topics by 30 Members
Latest Member: Laephis
* Home Help Login Register
+  jakedog.org
|-+  Newbie Board
| |-+  Intros
| | |-+  Red Ted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Ted  (Read 7816 times)
Red Ted
« on: October 28, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »

Well, my name is Ted and I have red hair. 

The nickname just sort of follows from there.

I don't game much at the moment - a little bit of messing around on free shards.

I have this bad habit of deciding that the dissertation would be much better if I just scrap the current chapter and start over.  Which is why it has taken me far far FAR too long to work on it, and it is still not done yet.

But I do have some good stuff written - finally.
Mego
Head Asshole
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 11:52:24 PM »

What is your dissertation about?  Is it ok for you to tell us the title?

When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?
Red Ted
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

Civil Religion, Religious Groups, and the Early American Republic.

I went against type and came up with a title that just tells the reader what the book is about.  No colons!

Here is the current draft of the 1-para precis.

My dissertation, "Civil Religion, Religious Groups, and the Early American Republic" is about how Americans created a multi-denominational civil religion that could compel citizens to good behavior  without coercing obedience to any state church.  The founding generation were all Christians or post-Christian Deists who appealed to Providence but chose not to define the nation in religious terms.  More, while several states defined themselves as Christian Republics, none maintained that identity for long.  By the 1820s, Americans had turned to civil Providence, treating the Constitution as Scripture and promising each other that the nation would prosper if only it held to its founding documents.  Presidents served as high priests of American civil religion, using public pronouncements to frame the issues of the day, and claiming that the test of a nation was its ability to secure the civil and religious liberty of its citizens.   Meanwhile, many Americans claimed that the nation shared a common Christianity, which they located in benevolent organizations, the doctrine that Christianity was part of the common law, and the civic faith that enforced oaths and good behavior.  This common Christianity splintered and fell apart after 1828 because of arguments over Sunday Mails, Masons, and even the words of the Bible.  This splintering accelerated in the 1840s under the pressures of Catholic immigration and sectional disagreements over slavery.  By the 1850s, Evangelicals, liberals, Catholics and the other major groups of American Christians gave up on trying to appeal to or even define a common Christianity and instead resolved to live in a fully pluralist nation.  Religion mattered, but civil religion took precedence in public life.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: