jakedog.org
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
62323 Posts in 5025 Topics by 30 Members
Latest Member: Laephis
* Home Help Login Register
+  jakedog.org
|-+  Newbie Board
| |-+  Intros
| | |-+  *waves Hello!*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: *waves Hello!*  (Read 20238 times)
Antimony
Retired

« on: May 30, 2008, 11:50:18 AM »

Hi there folks.

Gosh, it's been yeeeeears!

I lurked as a guest for the last few days and read some very enjoyable threads.  I can't wait to start replying.  I'll try to control myself and not necro-rez any two year old threads, hehehe.

Mego was nice enough to set me up so I could post and say "Hello!" to everyone.

HELLO EVERYONE!

I feel like I've already caught up since I've been reading for the last few days.

I see Janey is married and has a lovely daughter.

Big Ed has three grandchildren now.

Bloom has an S.O.

Mego has a cute niece.

Charles still writes incredibly long posts which are enjoyable to read.

And Old Bald Angus is still old and bald and Angus.

It's great to read everyone again.

As for me...

I was doing some private tutoring and homeschooling for some friends.

Then I went back to college to add another teaching certification in Mathematics.

Some school administrator friends of mine convinced me to start teaching middle school math even though I didn't have my complete certification yet.

That lasted two years.  They wanted me to teach pre-Algebra to kids that couldn't add, subtract, multiply, or divide.

A World History position opened at the high school, so I grabbed it.

We're reviewing for the final exams which are next week.

I spent the year lecturing about pre-historic pre-humans, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Ancient Greece, Rome, Byzantium, the Middle Ages, the Crusades, the Renaissance, the French Revolution, and Napoleon.

I'm looking forward to revising my notes over the summer and adding even more multi-media, which gives me excuses to show scenes from historical movies in class and discuss their accuracies and inaccuracies.

weeeeee!

Oh, and I just started playing Age of Conan and I really dig it.  The dialog from the quests is so fun (and chock fulla vivid profanity) that I don't just click through it.

And I play Two Worlds, which is just GORGEOUS.

So that's what's up with me.

How the heck are you guys?!?!?

Big Ed
Retired

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »

Holy Crap, look what the cat drug in!!!   Shocked

I've often wondered what happened to all the old gang, it's nice to see one of the good ones show back up.

Welcome kiddo, it's good to have you back.

Edit:  I actually have 4 grandkids, three official and one brother from another mother type thing. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:41:44 PM by Big Ed » Logged

Big Ed

"Stupid should hurt" - Woody Paige
Charles B Naumann
Retired

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »

Good to hear from you again!

We are doing well, my oldest son starts high-school this fall... Seems like just yesterday I was reading Dr. Suess to him at bedtime.

-Charles
Bloom
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »

Wow, it's been a long time.  Good to see you again!

As you said, I've got an SO, and maybe I've grown up a bit in the last few years.  I can still get up on my high horse with the best of 'em, and be a bit of a pompous ass at times, but I'm getting better at not doing it as frequently.  Wink

Btw, how many years has it been since Sunsword's forums?  It has to have been a lot more than just a couple, right?  And who else are we missing, apart from everyone's favorite scandinavian boy wonder (Echnin - who I think is a member of these boards, but doesn't post)?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you around, Anti.   Grin
Janey

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »

WB Antimony.  Glad to hear you're doing so well.  Smiley

Janey.
Master Archer.
Mego
Head Asshole
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »

Hello again. 

Yes, Echnin is a member of the forums but he never posted much. One of the few messages he posted was to ask if anybody knew what happened to Anti Tongue

When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?
Antimony
Retired

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 08:06:39 AM »

Thanks for the welcome, folks.  It's great to be back in touch.

I think I'll try to track down our little Norwegian Echnin.  Hehehe.

He's left footprints all over the internet, but nothing recent.

It looks like he went to China after Japan.  Quite the globetrotter.

Oh, and for those of you that remember him, Xanola Remmings (Homer's nephew) is in the Navy now and last I heard he was stationed in Hawaii.  He's still as hyper as ever.  I bet he drives his commanders nuts.  I picture him as becoming the next Sgt. Skippy.

Echnin
Retired

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »

Have you been google-stalking me? Yeah, I was in Beijing for a year. Loved it there. Just came back a couple of weeks ago. Going to Taiwan for a year starting September to continue my Chinese language studies, and when I come back June next year I'll graduate from university and... start over again and try to get a new degree in something more conducive to getting a job than languages and lit.
Antimony
Retired

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:16:19 PM »

*running tackle*

Echnin!!!

Hiya!

Echnin
Retired

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »

Ouch, that hurt! It's 12 degrees and raining here in Norway. 3 months until school starts in Taiwan. Help. Take me somewhere warmer.
Bloom
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:59:16 AM »

Good to hear from you again, Echnin!  I hope you stick around this time.  I for one would love to have some insider info on life in Taiwan.

I'm living in Italy now, and in January I went to visit a friend who lives in Helsinki.  I know, not your neck of the woods, but it's the closest I've ever gotten to Norway.  Anyway, it was January, so it was, umm, cold.  Sorry to hear it still is up Scandinavia-way.  Wink
Antimony
Retired

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:09:56 AM »

It has been about 100 degrees Fahrenheit here for the last several days.  It SUCKS!  I'll trade places with you.

Echnin
Retired

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:46 AM »

We had great weather last week, with 25 degrees and sun, but this week is turning out to be really crappy. Scandinavia is really great in the summer overall, though. It's usually not this cold, and because we're this close to the arctic circle we hardly get any night at all. No midnight sun where I live, but the sun sets at about 11 PM and rises at 4 AM now. It's nice. For my brother's wedding I'm going to go to Trondheim, where the sun sets at 11:30 PM and rises at 3 AM.

I visited Taiwan in March. Great place. I think it's easy for anyone who speaks English to go down there and work as an English teacher; the pay isn't great, but you'll live. If you want to learn Chinese, though, I'd recommend Beijing, as you'll get about the same wage and it'll last a lot longer: 125 RMB (about 20 US) an hour is the absolute minimum you'd expect to get. I don't understand how anyone would want to stay in the west when there are so many opportunities to get out!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: